Motocross is a thrilling physical activity! It gives you a different kind of an adrenaline rush. Despite the excitement, however, it can also be unsafe. Physical injuries are common. To prevent the latter, you need to have the highest level of protection. Among others, one of the most important when riding a dirt bike is to wear the best motocross helmet. With the tons of the possibilities, however, which should you choose? If you are having a hard time deciding, read on and we’ll help you come up with the right choice.
Our Top Picks for the Best Motocross Helmet
Below, we will have a rundown of some of the top brands and models that should be on your radar.
The premium price of this helmet is sure to be worth it. The cost can be justified by the features and performance of the product.
Among others, one thing that makes this exceptional is the 3K carbon shell, which makes it look, feel, and perform like a true racing helmet.
The progressive layering technology also deserves to be highlighted. This is a first-of-its-kind feature, which is basically the one responsible for improving impact protection through the multiple layers of materials that can withstand varying forces.
Another feature that makes it excellent in terms of safety is the Rotational Energy Management. This allows the creation of a slip zone, making it possible for the head to not absorb most of the impact a crash.
There are also plenty of features to ensure your highest level of comfort. For instance, with the Adaptive Fit, the helmet has a segmented construction that can personalize the fit based on the size and shape of the head of the wearer.
Ventilation will not be a problem as well, guaranteeing a comfortable ride. It is designed with velocity flow ventilation, which has port placements in strategic locations to encourage air circulation.
The helmet also features X-Static XT2 silver liner, which is removable and washable. Essentially, it is an anti-microbial fabric that has been clinicallyproven to get rid of odor and bacteria.
Lastly, this helmet comes with a five-year warranty from the manufacturer, which should be enough to provide you with peace of mind.
Comfort and protection – these are two of the best reasons why this motocross helmet should be on the top of your list. It is featherweight, which means that it is not a burden to wear the helmet. It has the Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus shell construction, an innovative technology that uses the best fibers available to make it strong while keeping the weight at a minimum.
Another excellent feature is the Emergency Quick Release System. Basically, it has straps under the cheekpads that make it easy to take it off.
The V470 visor that comes with the helmet is also great. There are three screws that secure the visor in place. It is removable, so you can use the helmet without it if you find such to be more comfortable.
Meanwhile, with the Motion Energy Distribution System, there is a flexible insert inside the helmet. The latter will improve the impact absorption of the helmet, minimizing the possible injury in the head during a crash.
This is unlike the helmets that will make you sweat profusely, especially when you are riding during a hot day. With the smart design of the helmet, the cool air will be passing through the front intake vents. There is also a large neck outlet to improve air circulation, which has a direct impact on your comfort.
Lastly, it has the 3D Max Dry Interior System. It has a liner that is also removable and washable, like most of the options that are included in this list. Unlike traditional nylon, it speeds up the dissipation of sweat by as much as two times.
This is another helmet that comes with a premium price, but you should not let the cost discourage you. After taking a look at its features, you will easily realize that the price is indeed worth it.
The extremely light body of the helmet is one of its best assets. This won’t cause a strain on the head or the shoulder, unlike its heavier counterparts. It weighs only 1,480 grams, so you can be sure that the weight will never a burden.
It also has the Optimized Shell Design, which refers not to a single element but to a combination of various components that make up the shell. The structural integrity of the shell guarantees its ability to protect the head from a serious injury.
To add, it has the innovative Multi-Impact Outer Expanded Polypropylene Liner. The material is known for its energy absorption, which allows the impact to distribute evenly. There are also low-friction disks for damping.
As for the liner, it is made of GenuineDri-Lex Fabric. It is also washable and removable, making it hygienic. Plus, it has the natural ability to resist the growth of bacteria from your sweat.
Lastly, the manufacturer takes pride in pioneering a number of safety features in this helmet. For instance, it comes with the structural brow rib, which improves the structural strength of the helmet in the eye port. It also has Cervical Protection Zone, providing protection even to the spine and neck.
With this helmet, you can choose from six available sizes – extra small, small, medium, large, extra-large, and extra extra-large. There are also three helmet designs.
Looking at its materials, you can have the assurance that safety and durability are not compromised. To ensure this, it comes with a polycarbonate ABS shell, which is known for being long-lasting, protective, and lightweight. You do not need to be burdened by its heavy weight when it is worn during a ride.
The Cool Max liner is also well-loved in this product. Basically, it is an ultra-plush padded liner that you can also remove and wash, making it economical and hygienic. It wicks away sweat, so the helmet will not be a breeding ground of bacteria. More importantly, this will prevent the interior of the helmet from having a foul smell.
Worried that your head will feel too hot and become too sweaty during an intense ride? This is not going to be a problem with this motocross helmet. This is because of the presence of multiple vents that will let air in.
The adjustable design of the visor is also a plus. This provides protection from the glare of the sun when you are riding. Plus, since it is adjustable, you can customize it based on what you are personally comfortable with.
As the manufacturer claims, it has met safety standard and it has various certifications to ensure its ability to keep the user safe.
One of the best features of this product is the Magnetic Visor Release System. A technology that is exclusive to the company, it gets rid of the three visor screws that you can find in conventional helmet designs. Instead, it features a magnetic connection system. Even in case of a crash, the strength of the magnet will ensure that it stays in place.
More so, it has the Multi-Directional Impact Protection System, an innovative technology that improves protection from the rotational force. This minimizes brain injury that can be caused by an angled impact.
Your comfort is also a sure thing when you are wearing this motocross helmet. Aside from the lightweight construction, there are 14 intake and four exhaust vents. For sure, there are more than enough ports for the air to circulate to keep your head cool and dry. Because of this, it also effectively minimizes sweating.
It also features DriLex comfort liners and cheek pads. The latter is an innovative fabric that makes the helmet smell and feel fresher every time you wear it. It controls sweating.
Meanwhile, it has the Multi-Composite Shell Construction Technology. Despite the ability to minimize weight, it does not compromise structural integrity and protection.
For a budget-friendly helmet that does not compromise safety and performance, this deserves a spot on your list. Among others, it is popular for its TCT Composite Shell Construction. This is an exclusive technology from the manufacturer, which makes use of five layers of exclusive materials. The helmet has organic poly-resin, aramid, and fiberglass.
To add, it also boasts of Advanced Dual-Density EPS. With the latter, there is an efficient displacement of energy in key locations. It allows the force to have equal distribution during a crash.
The KwikWick II Liner fabric is one more thing that gives this model an advantage over other motocross helmets. This is an anti-microbial fabric that can wick away sweat. This prevents the helmet from having an unpleasant smell and from being a breeding ground of bacteria. The liner is also removable and washable, making it practical.
There is no need to worry as well about getting extremely hot and sweaty. The helmet addresses this through the Aero-Tuned Ventilation. There are three built-in intake ports and four exhaust vents. They will maximize air circulation and optimize your comfort. Even better, there is an inflatable cheek pad. The latter allows easy customization of the helmet’s fit.
The manufacturer also incorporates the Exolon Shatter-Resistant Visor. The latter protects the eyes from the sun and from impact during a crash. At the same time, it maximizes clarity of vision during your ride.
Lastly, the helmet comes with a five-year warranty from the manufacturer.
What Makes a Motocross Helmet Different?
Take note of the fact that a motocross helmet has a special design. It is different from the regular helmets not only in terms of aesthetics but also the protection it provides. One of the key differences is the extended chin protection of the motocross helmet.
Also, a common feature of motocross helmets is that they have better ventilation compared to regular helmets. As a rider, you will be exerting more energy even during a low-speed run, which is why it is necessary to use a helmet that provides excellent ventilation.
The Right Fit of the Motocross Helmet
There are many factors that will have an impact on your decision, but the most important is perhaps the size. Make sure that it fits right. Otherwise, aside from being uncomfortable, it will be ineffective in providing the protection your head needs.
Different brands may have different sizes, so pay attention to the fit of the helmet. For the right measurement, follow these easy steps:
- Look for a soft measuring tape.
- Wrap the measuring tape around the head to identify the circumference.
- For the right measurement, start from one inch at the top of the eyebrow and circle it around the head.
- Compare the size with the sizing chart from the manufacturer.
It will also be good if you will have the chance to physically try the helmet. To make sure that the fit is perfect, pay attention to the following:
- You should feel comfortable. It should not be too tight. Otherwise, this will negatively affect your driving. It should not be painful when it is on your head.
- Tighten the chin strap of the helmet and give it a wiggle. Move the helmet up, down, left, and right. If it easily slides off the head, this goes to show that you need to wear a smaller helmet.
- Insert a finger between the padding of the helmet and your forehead. If the space is too big, you need a smaller helmet.
- Put your hands at the back of the helmet. After inserting, pull it forward. It should not go all the way to the head. If it does, the helmet is too big.
Safety Rating of a Motocross Helmet
Below are some of the most important ratings that will be indicative of the safety of the helmet you will choose:
- DOT: The Department of Transportation of the United States performs independent tests to evaluate the safety of the helmet. If you are from a different country, there is probably the same organization that does the same thing.
- ECE: This is the standard from the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. The latter sets strict standards to guarantee the highest level of protection of the helmets that are distributed throughout Europe.
- Snell: Snell is a non-profit organization in the United States in honor of Pete Snell, a popular racer who died from a head crash injury. They have specific guidelines to determine the safety of a motocross helmet.
If the helmet does not come with any of these stickers, this is a red flag. They are probably not going to offer the protection that is necessary to stay safe. Passing one of these standards is already enough. If you want to have peace of mind, on the other hand, find one that has all the three stickers.
Choosing the Best Motocross Helmet
With the tons of the options that will confront you, which one can provide the best bang for the buck? To help you narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Durability: Consider the material of the outer shell. It should be made using materials that can withstand the test of time and impact in case of a crash. Otherwise, it will be ineffective in protecting the head.
- Comfort: There are several factors that will have an impact on the comfort a user can experience from the helmet. For instance, it should be as lightweight as possible. There should also be multiple vents, which will encourage air circulation and will help insweat management.
- Liner: This is the part located in the interior of the helmet. The liner should be comfortable and should have anti-microbial properties. It absorbs the sweat from the head, which is why it should be sweat-resistant. Otherwise, it will be a breeding ground for bacteria and there will be an unpleasant smell.
- Style: A good motocross helmet is a combination of form and function. Therefore, choose one that suits your style. From the color to the decals, you should also pay attention to its aesthetics.
- Visor: Most of the motocross helmets will come with a built-in visor. It should be shatter-proof and should offer the best clarity to maintain a clear vision during your ride. It should not be obtrusive.
- Retention System: This is important to make sure it stays on the head regardless of your movements and in case of a crash. There should be a chin strap that remains snug. It should be adjustable, allowing you to customize the fit depending on what you are most comfortable with.
- Certifications: Look for a motocross helmet with certifications from various organizations, depending on where you live. This way, you can be sure that it has been through a series of tests to prove its safety and performance.
Before you ride your big bike, make sure that you are wearing the best motocross helmet, including those that have been mentioned above. They are made using high-quality materials to deliver unrivaled protection. These helmets will minimize the possibility that your head will suffer from a serious injury in case of an accident.